Monday, October 20, 2014

Horror Movies for Halloween (Part III)

Like any good horror franchise, this October series of micro-reviews has many sequels. I'm including a few more popular titles since I just happened to watch them recently.


The Aggression Scale (2012) - A group of hitmen are hunting down their boss's stolen money when they encounter a young emotionally disturbed kid and his sister who take them on with equal hostility. Unfortunately, this movie is just silly and has one of the worst cliches in film history. It's an R rated Home Alone with consequences. Skip.

Burning Bright (2010) - A young woman and her autistic brother are trapped inside a house with a hungry tiger during a hurricane. I know this sounds absurd, but it makes perfect sense within the film. Something about two defenseless people against a ferocious beast is very intriguing so I was looking forward to this movie and it doesn't disappoint. While I would have liked to have seen the tiger take down a few more random victims, this was a fun film. Recommend.

The Final (2010) - A bunch of bullied teens kidnap and torture their bullies. The first half hour was interesting but it completely peters out once the tables are turned and there's no one to root for since everyone is now evil. The last hour becomes dull and boring with really no suspense. Skip. (Currently on Netflix.)

Fright Night (1985) (Supernatural) - A teenager can't convince anyone that a vampire just moved in next door so he employs the help of a washed up movie icon who now hosts a horror show. I had never seen this 80s cult classic and while I enjoyed it on one level, I found the lead annoying and the overall movie very dated. I liked the concept and really wish it had been better executed. Maybe I should have seen this back in the day. I haven't seen the recent remake so I can't say if it's better or worse (but I would suspect worse). Kind of fun if you're bored. (Currently on Netflix.)

A Horrible Way to Die (2010) - An escaped serial killer is chasing down the ex-girlfriend who turned him in to the police. There are some really good moments in this film, but I found the ending predictable and the overall story too dull. Even though I'm on the fence with this one, I have to lean toward skipping.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2011) - Two hillbillies find themselves inadvertently thought of as kidnapping murderers, but nothing could be further from the truth! This film isn't really horror and probably and shouldn't be on this list, but I keep seeing it on similar lists and I also thoroughly loved this film. It's actually a great parody of hillbilly horror (The Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn), but it should be considered more in the vein of Shaun of the Dead. Highly recommended. (Currently on Netflix.)

Warm Bodies (2013) (Supernatural) - Romeo and Juliet retold with a zombie and a survivalist's daughter. How can this unlikely couple ever get together? Simple -- it's Hollywood. I must admit, this movie is very well shot, well acted, looks great and has an interesting enough premise, but I just couldn't get past the idea of a zombie not wanting to eat brains. My tasty brain just couldn't accept the premise, but the fault lies with me. I know many people who really enjoyed this film so I'll say check it out and decide for yourself. It's definitely made for the Twilight crowd, but it's a huge step above those horrid films.

(To be continued...)

No comments: