Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations #5)The Empire Strikes Back by Donald F. Glut

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


So I owned this book back in my youth, but then, many years ago, I was moving and had to cull my collection and this book along with Han Solo's Revenge, Spinter in the Mind's Eye and many many others made their way to various used bookstores. Then, a few weeks ago, I was at the Glendale Vintage Paperback Book Show and saw a pristine copy of this book for only $3. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was numbered and signed by the author.

I decided to buy it for reasons of pure nostalgia and having bought it, I decided to read it. I thought the book had a few scenes of wampas running amok in the rebel base that weren't in the movie, but I was wrong. It's a fairly faithful adaptation of the movie except that some of the film's great lines of dialogue are absent (i.e. Leia: "I love you." Solo: "I know.") There's really not much reason to read it since it's far more fun to see the film, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Though most of the book is written competently, there are moments of horrendous writing scattered throughout.



View all my reviews

No comments: