Friday, February 9, 2018

Miles: The AutobiographyMiles: The Autobiography by Miles Davis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I first read this book in 1993 (25 years ago!) when I borrowed it from my friend Dave. I remembered really enjoying it and from time to time would think about rereading it, but it wasn't until last month when I read the enthralling "Kind Of Blue: The Making Of The Miles Davis Masterpiece" by Ashley Kahn that I decided it was time to revisit it.

First, it is an amazing book, filled with all kinds of outrageous stories and anecdotes. And it's ridiculously funny, especially if you read it with Miles' raspy voice in your head. However, Miles was a very flawed man and he treated women horribly. He was misogynistic, abusive, and, as he would say, one bad motherfucker.

Despite all of this, the book is still incredibly fun to read and I would recommend it to any fan of his or jazz in general since he really takes you on a tour of jazz history.




View all my reviews

No comments: